New England Law | Boston

Hon. James R. Lawton

Portia Law School, 1953

1943 Hon James R Lawton

Judge James Lawton. Photograph by Bachrach

No one is more responsible for the modern history of the school than Judge James Lawton. Lawton served as First Justice of the Plymouth County Probate and Family Court during most of his 31 years on the bench. He joined the law school’s board of trustees in 1966 and was elected chairman in 1969. During his 38-year tenure on the board, he led the school’s push for American Bar Association accreditation, its move to the Stuart Street location, and membership in the Association of American Law Schools.

Top of Page | Exhibit Home | New England Law Home | Questions? | Copyright Notice