Skip to Main Content Return to the New England Law | Boston home page

An Independent and Accredited Law School

New England Law | Boston’s proud heritage began in 1908, when its predecessor, Portia Law School, was founded as the nation’s only law school exclusively for women.   In 1938 Portia Law School became coeducational, and in 1969 the school was renamed New England School of Law and granted accreditation by the American Bar Association.

In 1998 New England School of Law was admitted to the Association of American Law Schools, in recognition that the school meets the highest standards in legal education.

At the advent of the school’s second century in 2008, the law school adopted a new name, New England Law | Boston, which celebrates the rich urban environment in which the school flourishes.

New England Law | Boston is also a founding member of the Consortium for Innovative Legal Education.