Skip to Main Content Return to the New England Law | Boston home page

J.D. International Student Applicants

Applicants with Foreign Undergraduate Degrees

If you are a graduate of an undergraduate program outside the United States, you may apply to enter New England Law | Boston's three-year, full-time or four-year, part-time J.D. international students program. Successful completion of the J.D. program will allow you to sit for any bar examination in the United States.

J.D. International Students Credential Assembly Service (CAS)

New England Law requires that foreign transcripts be submitted through the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) J.D. CAS. If you completed any postsecondary work outside the United States (including its territories) or Canada, you must use this service for the evaluation of foreign transcripts.

The one exception to this requirement is if you completed the foreign work through a study abroad, consortium, or exchange program sponsored by a U.S. or Canadian institution. If so, you must clearly indicate the work as such on the home campus transcript.

This service is included in the LSDAS subscription fee. In addition, a Foreign Credential Evaluation will be completed by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) and incorporated into the LSDAS report.

Requirements for Foreign Undergraduate Degrees

All law school international students must take the LSAT as part of the application process. If English is not your first language or your undergraduate degree was not received from an English-speaking institution, you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). For more information, please call (609) 771-7100 or visit

You must receive a minimum score of 100 on the Internet based test or 250 on the computer based test on the TOEFL. You must then contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to request that your TOEFL score be sent to LSAC. LSAC's TOEFL code for the J.D. CAS is 8395. Your score will then be included in the Foreign Credential document, which is included in the LSDAS law school report.

To use the J.D. CAS, log in to the LSAC online account and follow the instructions for registering for the service. Be sure to print out a Transcript Request Form for each institution and to send it promptly to each one. More time is usually required to receive foreign transcripts.

For questions about the J.D. CAS, please contact LSAC at (215) 968-1011 or  

Applicants with Foreign Law Degrees

If you have a law degree from an institution outside the United States, you may be eligible for advanced placement into a two-year, full-time program or a three-year, part-time program leading to a J.D.

Successful completion of the J.D. program allows a graduate to sit for any bar examination in the United States. To qualify for advanced placement, you must:

  1. comply with all of the requirements for foreign undergraduate degrees (as listed above), and
  2. obtain certification of the foreign law degree by an academic evaluation agency.

Nonimmigrant Student Requirements

We welcome international students to pursue their interest in law at New England Law | Boston. If you are a nonimmigrant student, however, additional paperwork and documentation may be necessary to enroll here.

Please note that any visa or entry requirements of the U.S. government are your responsibility. You also may be required to register with the federal government. Entry requirements and visa information are available from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.