New England Law | Boston Celebrates Century Mark with Gala Event
(Boston 11/13/09) New England Law | Boston: It was a gala evening, a celebration of 100 years of academic excellence and an opportunity to commemorate independent thinkers throughout the school’s history.
Retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor was the featured speaker at the September 23 Convocation, the kickoff event of New England Law | Boston’s 100th anniversary during the 2008-09 academic year. Emceed by Supreme Judicial Court Justice Robert J. Cordy, an adjunct faculty member, the Convocation at TD Banknorth Garden included remarks by Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Margaret H. Marshall and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino. Dean John F. O’Brien (’77), Chairman Martin C. Foster (’80), Judge Susan J. Crawford (’77), Eleanora Burke (’35), and Professor Curtis W. Nyquist also spoke. Receptions featuring food, music, and dancing followed the formal program.
A full schedule of special events marked the celebration of the Centennial, ranging from symposia and discussions featuring distinguished members of the law community, to banquets and receptions. The keynote speaker at the 2009 Law Day Banquet on March 13 was U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
In addition, the law school developed several projects tracing the school’s history from 1908 through the present. The Centennial History Exhibit in the New England Law | Boston law library is open to the public during library hours throughout the academic year. The web-based portion of the exhibit can also be viewed on our website.
A photographic history of the school has been published by Arcadia Publishing. Featuring pictures and information from each phase of the law school’s development, the book was written by Professor Philip K. Hamilton and can be purchased at local bookstores or online through Arcadia Publishing.
The Boston Women’s Heritage Trail is also developing a walking tour highlighting the law school’s history. A guide book will be available in the lobby of the main building on Stuart Street.