Bar Exam Information*
All law school graduates must apply for admission to a state bar in order to obtain a license to practice law in that jurisdiction. The criteria for eligibility to take the bar examination or to otherwise qualify for bar admission are set by each state’s board of bar examiners. Some states require that law students register for the bar exam as early as the first semester of the first year of law school. A list of those states requiring early law student registration is included below. Students who miss the early registration deadlines in these states may end up paying expensive late registration fees.
- General Requirements and Exam Information
- States Requiring Early Law Student Registration
- Jurisdiction-Specific Requirements
- Directory of State Bar Admission Offices
- New Pro Bono Requirement for the New York Bar
*Excerpt from the National Conference of Bar Examiners, http://www.ncbex.org.