New England Law | Boston OUTLaws
Who We Are
New England Law | Boston OUTLaws is a nonprofit, noncommercial, nonsectarian, and nonpartisan organization that works to educate, unite, and provide opportunities for members of and allies to the LGBTQ community.
Executive Board 2015-2016
- President: Mary McDonough
- Vice President: TBD
- Treasurer: Enrique Hernandez '16
- OUTReach Coordinator: Theresa Bullington
- Evening Liaison: Mary McDonough '16
- Rep. to Mass. LGBTQ Bar Assocation: Christopher Wester '16
- Chapter E-mail: email@example.com
What We Do
New England Law OUTLaws promotes spirit and unity among law students who are members and allies of the LGBTQ community. We provide opportunities for LGBTQ law students and LGBTQ allied law students to meet in an academic setting and explore opportunities in the Boston professional legal setting. We discuss and TAKE ACTION on questions of law that impact the LGBTQ community and we demonstrate the presence of the community in our law school. OUTLaws also promotes reforms for the purpose of eliminating discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression, and we aim to assure fair and just treatment of members of the LGBTQ community under the law.
Each academic year, OUTLaws sponsors many events that support causes and raise awareness of issues directly related to the LGBTQ community and its allies. Additionally, the student association works directly with the Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association in promoting educational, networking, and volunteering opportunities to law students throughout the Boston metropolitan area. The following list includes just a sample of the events that we offer to the law school community and beyond:
- National Coming Out Day: Fall Semester (October) World Aids Day: Fall Semester (November)
- On-campus educational programs relating to Transgender Identity Awareness
- “Fireside Chat” seminars with legal professionals who are also members of the community. Co-sponsorship of events with other New England Law student organizations.
Collaboration with the Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association
- Monthly social mixers held throughout Boston, introducing students to networking opportunities with fellow law students and legal professionals
- Annual law student reception
- LGBTQ Legal Professional Mentoring Program
- Annual Alexander G. Gray, Jr. Scholarship Program for law students
- GLAD (Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders) Fenway Health
- GBLS (Greater Boston Legal Services)
The lists above are by no means exhaustive of the opportunities that are offered through OUTLaws.
To learn more, please:
- sign up for the New England Law OUTLaws on TWEN;
- join the “New England Law | Boston OUTLaws” Facebook group;
- attend an OUTLaws meeting or event.